Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Our Purple Honey

This post is an excerpt from our original purple honey post on my Mom's Blog

it really is purple!
purple honey!!!!









"This is our wonderful, exotic, rare and extra super yummy Purple Honey!!! We had never heard of purple honey and initially wondered if something terrible was wrong with our bees. Now that we have had time to research the matter and (most importantly) taste the honey we're only sorry that there isn't more of it!! This is by far my favorite honey ever, it has such a smooth taste and a sweetness that I've never had in honey of any kind in any of the places I've ever had honey. Being a lifelong honey consumer I've developed quite a taste for certain types of honey but now I believe I'm ruined..... there just aren't any that taste like this stuff.
It took us quite awhile to figure out what is going on with our honey and the truth of the matter is that no one really knows for sure. There are several theories as to what it is that is causing it but regardless of what the correct theory is it is very rare and only occurs in this little part of the world where I live. The kids and I just feel so blessed that after all the studying and working and heartbreaks we have had with the bees and all of the things we know we have yet to go through in our first year we were given such a special experience as our purple honey."

Since that time we have sent a sample of our honey to the state department of entomology and have yet to hear from them.  We have spent 3 more, adventure filled, years with our bees and were blessed with a few more purple honey harvests but, none so pure as that one from our first year of beekeeping.

Our bees are not special, neither is our location, but somehow we end up with this stuff! We are so very thankful for it though, and I hope that we will have enough to sell sometime soon. Stay tuned and I will put up a post with links to where we will be selling it at.
Happy New Year to all and to all a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment